What It's like going to high school in Australia

What it's like going to high school in Australia

Australia Map

As you all may know I am from Australia and am currently in my last year of high school, studying Visual arts - Design, Photography, English and Business and Enterprise. I have noticed over the months that my views have been coming from a variety of countries, from America to Peru, I thought this was really cool. this gave me the idea of creating a post giving an insight as to what a high school is like in Australia and to share my experience with a variety of people from a variety of different countries.

The School Year -

In Australia, the school year starts at the end of January and goes through till halfway through December. a school year consists of 3 holiday periods and 4 terms which generally contain 10 weeks of school. the year will start at the end of January and go through until the middle of April (first term), we then get a two week holiday from school. The next term (term 2) starts at the end of April/start of May and goes through until the start of July, we then have another two week holiday. After the holidays the next term starts (term 3). Term 3 starts towards the middle/end of July through until the end of September. For the students completing their last year of school (year 12), this is their last term, besides the one or two weeks of the last term. The last term (term 4) starts in the middle of October and goes through until the middle of December. every year level from year 8 - year 11 will still be attending school at this time, but most of the year 12's will have most likely finished or they are completing exams. After the school year finishes in December there is a 6-7 week holiday and then school starts all over again!

The school week -

This might be different for other high schools, but with mine, the day starts at 8:35am and finishes at 3:10pm from Tuesday to Friday. On Monday my school finishes at 2:20pm to give teachers time for a meeting. at my school, we have two types of lessons, a single lesson, and a double lesson. A single lesson lasts for 55 minutes and a double lesson lasts for 110 minutes ( one hour and 50 minutes). On Monday I have 4 single lessons throughout the day, from Tuesday to Thursday I have two double lessons and two single lessons. then on Friday, I have one double and four singles. from year 11 my school allows you to have study lessons instead of a class. In year 12 if you have a study at the end of the day you are allowed to leave early and if you have a study at the start of the day you can come late (only for year 12's). After Friday we then have two days off for the weekend then on Monday we start again. 

Overall school life is the same as any other person school life, fun at times stressful at others. Some of the differences between an Australian high school compared to high schools from other countries can include the desks, in Australia we have rows of tables all together instead of single people tables, start and end times, some schools start and finish earlier or later than in Australia and the size of the school, my school has around 1000 people in it which compared to other schools is really small, and the actual size of the school including ovals I think is tiny for a high school.

Thanks for reading about my schooling in Australia, I hope you enjoyed an will be back when I post next :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I tell you book review

Watercolour flowers

3 tips on how to deal with anxiety