I hate everyone but you book review

--- Just a quick note, I know I said I was going to read the books that I currently have before buying new books, but I was at the shops and saw this book and was immediately intrigued, so I decided to get it and read it :) ---

I hate everyone but you
By Gaby Dunn & Allison Raskin

I hate everyone but you is a book about two friends, Eva and Gen, that have been best friends since they were young, the story follows their lives through email as they both go through college on opposite sides of the country. The blurb explains that the storyline covers topics such as mental health, coming out, relationships and self-discovery.

I was pretty excited for this book as I had never read anything like it before, based on the format, of the emails and the mental health and coming out topics. I didn't read any reviews before reading this book so had no idea what to expect.

The start of the book was really good, the plot was forming well and the flow of the story was going well. There wasn't very much character development but I didn't really mind that as felt the book was suppose to be simple. Somewhere around 10 pages in there was a reference to a movie ( I had never read a book with any sort of movie, music ect. references) I didn't mind it though so just continued on. In the end, there were about 10 other references to other sources, to be honest, I worked out that I don't like refernces from other sources in stories, I felt that it made the story a bit cheesy, I don't know why but that is my opinion.

Another thing that stood out to me as something that wasnt so good about this book was the ending. I'm not going to spoil anything but I felt the ending was a bit bland, I expected there to be a bit more of an exciting of an ending or even just a special event but that didn't happen. Overall the ending disappointed me a bit compared to the rest of the book.

The last point that didn't impress me about the book was the focus on mental health and coming out. overall the focus on the two subjects was ok but it didn't feature as much detail as I expected it too, I get that it may had been hard seeing as the book is just the emails being sent and not a 'full' story but I feel there could have been more detail added.

Overall I did like the book and the storyline (besides the end) but I do feel as if more detail could have been added, it would have made the book more exciting (which is what I was expecting which is my fault). The book flowed really well and in the end was a pretty good book.

score 6/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I tell you book review

Watercolour flowers

3 tips on how to deal with anxiety